After all the hype about the arrival of Amazon last week, there is agreement on one thing: the reshaping of Australia’s commercial ecosystem has begun. However, exactly what shape the new environment will take is less clear.
Andrew Clarke is CEO of Cashrewards, Australia’s largest online shopping community, accounting for some 2% – or $600+ million – of Australians’ online spend, via its more than 325,000 members.
As initial speculation about the Amazon effect dies down, Andrew offers deeper analysis and is tracking online spend and trends closely.
He predicts 2018 will be the year of the “shopping wars” and asserts that Black Friday 2017 marked the “coming of age” of Australian online retail, with profound implications for the future. But for some retailers, it may be too late.
Andrew Clarke says: “eBay is likely to take the initial hit, as it has had a relatively free run until now. Super Retail Group, BCF, SuperCheap Auto and Rebel are doing some great things online – including “click and collect” and displaying stock levels for individual stores. David Jones is also a strengthening player online, with increasingly creative and experiential offers and concepts for online shoppers.
“Myer, on the other hand, has struggled to adapt to online. Kmart has the poorest online offer of all major Australian retailers and will also struggle in the new landscape.”
Andrew’s deep experience with consumer e-commerce positions him to answer some of the most pressing questions retailers, business leaders and consumers now face about their survival and fitness, including:
- likely impacts of the new arrival on existing online retail models – including examples
- how consumer behaviour and expectations may change – and whether these expectations can be met
- likely winners and losers in the upcoming “shopping wars”
- how – and whether – smaller, local retailers can compete (Andrew believes they can)
- the role of brand and loyalty in the upcoming battle
- likely effect on the offline / online retail mix in the short, medium and long term
- biggest challenges facing the behemoth, and more.
Cashrewards is also the only loyalty site in Australia with Amazon US in its portfolio, enabling Cashrewards members to access Amazon products and earn Australian dollars in their bank accounts for every purchase made.