The recipe for the is carrot and walnut cake is sure to take care of your sweet tooth. Perfect for an afternoon treat or as dessert, this cake can be made in under an hour.
Taken from Woolworths.com this is sure to have your sugar cravings kept at bay. Serving 12 and only taking 15 minutes to prepare and 40 minutes to bake, this is the perfect recipe for those unexpected gatherings when guest drop by uninvited.
The Recipe – Serves 12
- 300g bag shredded carrot
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup rice bran oil
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain flour
- 100g walnuts, chopped and 100g walnut halves for candied walnuts
- 1 cup wholemeal plain flour
- 250g cream cheese for cream cheese frosting
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp ground cardamom and ¼ tsp ground cardamom for candied walnuts
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 125g soft butter for cream cheese frosting and 1 tbs butter for candied walnuts
- 4 cups sifted icing sugar for cream cheese frosting
- ¼ cup maple syrup for candied walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 170°c. Grease two 20cm round pans and line bases with baking paper.
- Place the carrot in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1½ minutes or until softened. Set aside to cool.
- Beat the eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla in a bowl until combined. Sift flours, baking powder, bicarb of soda and spices together. Fold into the egg mixture. Add carrot and walnuts and stir well.
- Divide evenly between pans. Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make the frosting, beat cream cheese in a bowl until smooth. Add butter and beat until combined. Slowly add sugar. Beat until smooth.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Heat a non-stick frypan over medium heat. Add candied walnuts ingredients. Stir for 5 minutes or until nuts are coated and syrup is thick. Pour onto the tray. Separate nuts. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Level tops of cakes so they are flat. Spread frosting over the base layer and top with second cake. Cover top and side with frosting. Arrange walnuts on top.
Remember, when you purchase a Woolworths Gift Card you can also use it towards your purchases at Dan Murphy’s, Cellarmasters, BWS and more. You can also shop these stores through Cashrewards and earn Cashback on top.**
Image credit: Woolworths
*Woolworths Gift Cards can be used online to shop at Woolworths, however, Cashback for Woolworths Online cannot be claimed if using a gift card.
**Always check the Terms and Conditions on each stores page for exclusions.
Disclaimer: Some items in this article may not be eligible for Cashback. Deals, products, displayed prices, Cashback rates and available retailers through CASHREWARDS mentioned above may change at any time without notice. This article has not been specifically sponsored in any way, by any retailer, although CASHREWARDS has ongoing partnerships with the stores mentioned above in order to provide you Cashback at these stores.