Australians are still willing to spend and are increasingly embracing online retail – especially when there’s a bargain involved. Record-breaking numbers on the first two of November’s “Big Four” shopping days signal more massive sale activity to come in the week ahead. And, with the advent of Amazon keeping them on their toes, Australian retailers are now leveraging major shopping events with more urgency.
“We believe Amazon will motivate traditional retailers to improve their online experience, but most importantly Australian retailers need to take an omni-channel approach and be in the same place shoppers are, driving value for their customers both on price and convenience,” said Andrew Clarke, Cashrewards founder and CEO.
Australians spent an estimated $150 million over the “Singles’ Day” weekend and $210 million the following “Click Frenzy” Tuesday, 14 November. Cashrewards, Australia’s biggest online retail community recorded Singles’ Day sales almost doubling on 2016 numbers, with increases of over 50% for Click Frenzy.
These sales figures signal even greater spending ahead in the next two big shopping days, “Black Friday” on 24 November; and “Cyber Monday” on 27 November.
Estimates are that Australians will part with more than $500 million online over these next big sale days – and in so doing stand to save between 30% and 70% on usual retail prices.
That includes an increasing number of shoppers taking advantage of the heavy discounting to get ahead and make huge savings on their Christmas shopping.
According to Cashrewards, consumers on the lookout for bargains should be planning ahead and shopping smart to get the best deals. That includes earning cash back on every purchase by joining and clicking through the Cashrewards website to get to their retailer of choice. That way, they can “double dip,” earning the discounts on offer direct from the retailer PLUS money in their bank account from Cashrewards every time they buy.
Cashrewards accounts for 2%, or more than $600 million, of Australians’ total annual online spend – and is growing every day. It currently has more than 315,000 members and 1200 retail partners, including most major local and international brands. Membership is free. Joining takes 15 seconds.
- On “Singles’ Day,” 11 November, Cashrewards reported an increase of 44% in expenditure per member on last year. Total spend via Cashrewards was $3 million, with average order value rising from $43 to $81.44. Australia wide. This translates to a total online spend of $150 million, up 40%
- “Click Frenzy,” the following Tuesday, also recorded a massive uptick, with sales through
Cashrewards at $4.2 million, up 51 % on 2016 numbers. Australia wide, this translates to a total online estimated spend of $210 million.
- On average, using sales figures and projections to date, Cashrewards members will receive more than $250 cash directly into their accounts from shopping through Cashrewards during the November buying season.
- Shoppers buying vitamins, wine and travel were this year’s Singles’ Day winners, with Cashrewards partners Dan Murphy’s, Chemist Warehouse, Wotif, Hotels.com and Booking.com scoring top sales.
- Fashion lovers won out on “Click Frenzy,” with Cashrewards partners Asos, Nike, David Jones, Rebel Sport and Chemist Warehouse, moving ahead of last year’s best sellers, household goods.
- On Black Friday, shoppers should be looking for mega discounts and deals on flights, game
consoles, virtual reality, fashion and sporting goods. Discounting retailers include Amazon, Apple,
eBay, Lenovo, Microsoft, Virgin Australia, Emirates, David Jones, Cotton On, New Balance, Nike, Adidas – plus great deals on various laptops.
- On Cyber Monday, shoppers should be looking out for fashion, beauty, gaming, home
entertainment. Retailers include major names, including the possibility of further discounting on certain items from Black Friday.
- Smart shoppers will make their Christmas shopping list this week and score the best bargains over this weekend, avoiding the December crowds, stress and pre-Christmas price hikes.
- To ensure they don’t miss out on bargains, Cashrewards members should download the free “notifier” extension on the Cashrewards site. This automatically lets them know which sites are Cashrewards partners when they search or visit, so they can click through and automatically add coupons and earn dollars back while they shop for the year’s big bargains.
Above image credit: William Potter